Static pattern

Up early, and two hours of focused work on the animal diseases work, then sent off for feedback which never arrived, resulting in one of those limbo-ish annoying days. Despite new treatment on ears, which is lessening the itching in part, has not changed their internal state, and this persistent infection is making me feel a bit run down -- so I think I haven't yet reached the end of the ear saga.

Did three short walks to take me up to 10k paces.  Walked past the little playground near me, which is locked and has a notice about being closed on it. Inside were dozens of children and adults. Chatted to Anton too, while out and about planning a short walk just outside town. Finding myself having to dodge people on pavements, many people, especially the younger ones, seem to have grown oblivious to social distancing on the street.

A good article in the guardian today by Suzanne Moore, the title says it all: What's more stressful than lockdown? The easing of lockdown. Apparently a handful of pubs at the weekend have closed again, as people going there have subsequently had a positive test.

The force wasn't with me to do decent writing, instead I read and walked. I read The Machine Stops, by E.M. Forster, which Toby had told me to read, as it was such an interesting reflection of current times. I had not read this before, and I think had not known that Forster had made this brief but convincing foray into Science Fiction, anticipating a kind of internet, and people living isolated pods. I also persisted with the Thomas Keneally's The Book of Science and Antiquities -- which for me sits in the flawed but interesting category. Keneally is Australian, and the book's aussie title is Two old men dying, which is a far better title for this book. One of the men dying is an early human in Australia 40,000 years ago, whose bones have been found and seen by the contemporary character.

Spoke to Mum for 45 mins. Nothing much happening other than a persistent backdrop of stressy boredom. She showed me the planter at the front of the house, full of red flowers, and some of the work she has had done in the garden, and we talked about how meeting up in London to have a drink in the Salisbury again would be nice.

Lorraine home, and I made a good salad, which we had with fishcakes. Day by day she is getting nearer the end of a school year which has been unlike any other. I am proud of her. Just before we went to bed, we watched a bit of Radiohead on iPlayer, which Lorraine loves. She said she wondered what her school kids would say if they knew how much she liked Paranoid Android.

A static pattern in black and white.






Comments