Bits and pieces

Awake for several hours last night. Listened to a short lecture about Napoleon in Egypt, who while he had a fairly disastrous military adventure there, had thoughtfully taken lots of artists and scientists with him, who kicked off the study of Ancient Egypt. Before I went to sleep I listened to a second lecture about the Rosetta Stone.

A bits and pieces sort of day. I focused on the tiresome business getting my new credentials document together. I have always been terrible at forcing people to provide evidence that I had done any work in the last twenty years. Normally I don't have to prove anything to anyone, but it is good practice. I found a few minutes of film at the foot of this page, which Brad shot when we were in Chad. Took me back it did, especially in one or two shots I was standing next to  him.  Not often you see a movie shot by a filmmaker of such a vivid moment in your experience. Ignore the voiceover commentary.

Anton and I discussed a local walk we are planning for Friday.

Lorraine home with several presents and cards from families and children. Looking at these it is hard to escape the notion that she is much loved. We watched the leaver's variety show, recorded onto YouTube with lots of kiddies singing and doing experiments and so on, often from home. Concerned when Lorraine told me that our friend John out of Sue and John is in hospital while they trace the cause of an alarming spike in his blood pressure. She chatted to a concerned Sue, who literally ran a hospital.

This was a shot I took this afternoon, while having a cup of tea in 'the taverna' part of our garden looking northwards. The weather brooding, all while providing little rain.


Comments