Mr Kipling's study

Up at my desk, and sent the file of One Day Forever to Wolfgang first thing. Breakfast with Sue and John, then off to Bateman's, where Rudyard Kipling had lived. John wanted to drive, in his electric car, so that was nice. Lots of road diversions and we found ourselves going down all kinds of tight country lanes. Bateman's itself was lovely. Gorgeous but sun parched gardens, little rivers and an old mill. The house itself first built in 1634, he wrote Kim there, and he clearly had already made huge sums from his writing, enough to buy this country pile and finance a Rolls Royce habit. I have read The Light That Died, and versions of the Jungle Book and Kim. But there's clearly more to explore, including poetry.

An easier drive back. Once home, John preoccupied by charging his car at Morrisons. I barbecued a chicken and some sausages. I had put the funnel with the burning charcoal onto one of the concrete tiles of the patio and the concrete loudly exploded a circle shattered out of one of the patio tiles. The barbecue proceeded as normal. Later Beth and Enzo came round, and James after work. A pleasant early evening. We ate indoors because it was cool, which shows the heat adaption. 

John and Sue set off back to Bromyard in the evening. I hoped they were going to stay longer, but I'd really enjoyed seeing them. Whiskey a charming little pooch these days. She didn't steal my watch once. Fascinated by how she barks at vapour trails, which is a thing apparently.

Kipling's study. Approved by me. 



Comments