A tidy desk
Seized the opportunity for a quiet day. Next week is busy for us. Lorraine repaired to the studio and worked on her pottery, but returned frustrated after several hours as nothing had worked properly and she had to recycle everything. The life of an artist.
I tidied my study! I filed, put books back on shelves, rationalised files on my trusty old computer and dusted my desk. There is nothing more appealing than a clean and tidy desk.
While listening to Jazz saxophonist Pharaoh Sanders. I discovered a late album made in 2021, a year before he died, called Promises. It features Pharaoh with a UK electronic musician called Floating Points and the London Symphony Orchestra. A lush mix of minimal ambient and jazz. Also heard his album Pharaoh. I first heard Pharaoh Sanders, who was an acolyte of John Coltrane, on Alice Coltrane's albums.
Also read London Magazine... A Catalan issue, which I'd file under the not for me category: some decent poetry and a woefully plonky story. A couple of average stories from Broken Ground, a newish horror magazine, The most recent Channel Magazine from Ireland with my poem Gardening with My Wife in it. And an anthology of stories from Superlative Fiction, who gave me that nice rejection this week.
Later, feeling I at least needed a short walk, I popped out to Seaford to buy some pectin for jam making. Also went into T.G. Jones, formerly W.H.Smith, which is having a closing down sale. I bought some drawing paper, at 20% off. Two staff and a very depressing atmosphere, and I almost felt guilty profiting from it by getting cheaper paper.
It reminded me of the times I bought a Guardian newspaper. The world seemed manageable with a quality paper read on the way to work. And Radio 4 to keep you updated over breakfast and later. Now, with everything all at once from everywhere, it is overwhelming. I have a Guardian app instead that is updated live, but now you can never read the paper, and think, That's it. I understand enough of what's happening today.
Lorraine made a delicious prawn curry, and we spent the evening reading and then watching Babylon 5. We are now on the last series, and telepaths are causing problems for everyone. A cooler night tonight.
Below Pharaoh Saunders and Floating Points.

Comments