The heatwave becomes serious

Hot night. Lorraine and I up early, having luckily being able to sleep with our bedroom doors open to the air, which was quite nice as the night wore on. But too hot today, as part of England's hottest ever heatwave. Noticed falsities on twitter and other social media saying that it was hotter in 76 and this is all being exaggerated. It is easier for some people to go into denial when scary stuff happens.  

Find myself reminded of occasional visits to Greece when it has been too hot to do anything, and Chad of course where I spent the eight or nine of the most uncomfortable nights of my life. 

Lorraine off to school on her last ever week. Parent rumours about the school closing had to be quashed over the weekend. I felt the familiar sense of unease as she set off for school. I will be pleased when she is done with it. 

Working with Keith again today. Met up early and pressed on. Fairly relaxed day, although by the late afternoon my north west facing office was getting too hot to work in. Not working tomorrow, which is great. The heat makes me irritable and lethargic, but it seems they want us to round things off with an extra day later this week. 

No gym or any exercise today. Just too hot. I spoke to Mum and she said I should cancel going up tomorrow. There were few trains today, and the tracks are too hot. I called Mum at lunchtime briefly to check she and Mas were okay. They weren't in. I pictured their heat exhausted bodies, crawling towards the iPad and fainting away. But it turns out they were enjoying a visit to The Waggon and Horses. 

Lorraine home fairly early, having sent all the staff home after the children left. Three more days at school (with children) left now. Her feelings are mixed and various. 

Morning view. However hot it gets, Calliope still tries to sit on me.




   

 

Comments