Flying ant day

Lorraine's penultimate week started today. A few bits of work, then the gym this morning. At teatime I made off to Eastbourne, where I met Robin at the station. We were going to do some recording in a pub, but every venue was not quite right in town. Every likely spot outside was also home to a straining air conditioner. We jumped in a taxi and went up to the Beachy Head pub. I had never been there before. We sat outside on a bench looking at the amazing view with Seaford head and Brighton in the far distance in the lowering sun. Bloody hot still. We clicked on the recorder and began our end of season banter, but were beset by dozens of flying ants crawling over us and the table and through the open packets of crisps. But it was a small price to pay. Then a celebratory pint to celebrate before a taxi (difficult to obtain) back. It was nice to actually meet in person to record, and also to actually slap ourselves on the back a bit for our efforts.

I managed to miss my train at Eastbourne by moments, and as I hadn't eaten, I bought some fried rats from a thronging chicken shop opposite the station. Actually quite nice. On the train to Lewes, then onto a stopping train to take me to London Road. At Falmer, hundreds of people crammed onto what had been an almost empty train. They had all been watching England's women footballers beat Norway 8-0. A rather astonishing score and the family with children that squeezed around me and the two very cheery lesbians crushed nearby were all elated.

Sloped home, and found I had done over 19k paces today. 

Below Robin and me, the view and ants.




Comments