Hotter than July

The hottest day ever in England, with the temperature reaching 40.3º only in WW2 have we had more outbreaks of fire in London. This heat really horrid. In Greece you can plop in the sea or retreat to your air conditioned room to cool down, not pad about on carpets and sit on warm sofas, even my office chair I found too hot. Having no urgent work, I did what had to be done from my phone on the gold sofa. Sam, meanwhile, finding novel ways to keep cool including putting a hot water bottle in the freezer. 

Lorraine of course, off to work. I sat at my desk for a while, and thought of her. She did so well. I spoke to Mum and Mas and they seemed to be doing fine. I was worried about them as the heat up where they are was worse than down here on the coast.  

After an indolent day, at tea time I had a shower and changed into my lightning strike teeshirt, entered the room where Lorraine was wrapping presents for her staff, and my lightning tracker app on my phone signalled a nearby strike with a thunder noise which made us laugh. The extreme heat broke soon after with a sudden fresher wind with rain in it, sadly we missed out on the scattered thunder in the channel and inland. Suddenly making dinner became was easy. 

I have been invited to Lorraine's school tomorrow afternoon, where there will be afternoon tea, celebrating the Queen's jubilee and -- far more importantly -- Mrs Kenny's leaving.  Lorraine not quite sure what she is feeling about everything at the moment.  

More work on Thursday, when things will be cooler. For me this is the ideal amount of work, regular dribs and drabs. 

Below a widely used shot by the press of a houses aflame in Essex.



Comments