Two Queens

A bit of coolness in the gentle breeze on Preston Park as I strolled down to the gym this morning. Although down on London Road it felt hotter. The gym still a sweaty business, and I sprang onto a 5b which had stopped outside it to speed me home. Faffing about this morning, ironing, tidying up and other time wasters. Then the hard work of making myself look presentable for my final outing in my Dennis Thatcher/Prince Phillip role as Mr Kenny at Lorraine's school. 

Lorraine home at noonish, and after she wrapped some presents and took five minutes to revive herself, we made off to Bolney with the stained glass window Adele had made, and other presents Lorraine had brought her staff in the boot.

Into Lorraine's office, which was crammed with gifts Lorraine was giving people, and many she had received and drawings from children and so on.  

Then out for the main business of the day, which involved Lorraine and teachers and the the school all standing in front of the school building wearing crowns. A life size cut out Queen Elizabeth looked out at everyone from the fence behind Lorraine. 

Parents and a few invited others in the playground behind the children, and parents and others leaning over the low school wall, some of them taking photographs. I stood on the side, trying to keep a low profile. The Reverend Michael chatted to me for a while, saying his wife would be cross with him for not wearing his hat and that he had some scabs on his head, which he showed me. After a while he asked me if I was one of the fathers, and I said I was Lorraine's husband.

So we started with Mrs Kenny, sporting a crown, who gave a speech about The Queen as it was her Jubilee year, and the school sang God Save the Queen. 

Lorraine then asked to sit in a chair with a regal red drape on it, and was treated to a goodbye speech made by Sarah based on the Charlie Mackesy book and how Lorraine had upheld the school's values. Then she was presented a nosegay of flowers and a book of memories, and was sung to by all the children. Lorraine presented the stained glass window to the school, which seems to have gone down really well.

Reverend Michael gave a speech about his memories of school and how welcoming Lorraine had been when he started at Bolney church recently. He also kept referring to Lorraine instead of Mrs Kenny. 

Afterwards there was much milling about, children playing organised games, and droves of people coming up to Lorraine and wishing her well many with presents including (I thought quite symbolically) a fruiting vine to plant in our new garden. Lorraine telling people she didn't know what to feel. She has a big mix of emotions.

I texted Betty a snap during proceedings as she had wanted to come but couldn't get away from work.  

Drove home, and this penultimate day felt like a big one for me too. it felt like a big day. A big outpouring of love for Lorraine.  Tomorrow is the school's last full day, and Lorraine's last day ever working in the school with kids in it.  

Home and reading the book of memories full of messages from the children. One poetically said, 'I will miss you so much the stars will pop'.

I am not sure what photos I can put on here other than this one, as children's faces shouldn't be shown. Lorraine on her throne with Sarah in blue, and the cutout Queen sensibly under the tree.   



Comments