My Birthday

My birthday started rather hungover. My lovely wife however brought me tea and presents in bed. Including two cardigans. I love cardigans and wore one obsessively in my twenties. Naturally the trendy irony of sporting a cardie in your twenties has eroded with the years. Lorraine yelped with laughter and said Hello Granddad to me when I wore one. However they look very smart and are currently quite trendy, like the big bushy beards sported by hipsters everywhere. Everyone's a Granddad now. Lorraine also got me the new Murukami novel, which is splendid, and a poster of Tales from Topographic Oceans by Roger Dean, which will have pride of place in my new study when I am in there. Beth got me a large cup, a special request, and a pair of Chelsea socks.

Then more interminable house stuff, reading the survey of the new house, which seems pretty sound.

Off out and collected by Dawn and driven off to Stanmer House where we met Rosie, Emily and Tim, and Emily and Tim's twin three year old twins Lyra and Phoebe. Rosie's birthday is the day after mine, and we celebrated together. I like Emily and Tim, who I've only met once or twice before.

A converted stately home, with big rooms, widely spaced tables, and walls full of painting and prints. Big helpings of food too. A really pleasant afternoon. Dawn and Rosie bought me presents and cards too, which was lovely of them.

Plans for a healthful walk in the grounds were scuppered due to persistent rain. But I for one was pleased to retire to the gold sofa in the late afternoon. First Matie called to wish me a happy birthday. Received a very nice and thoughtful rejection of the this card will fall in love with you idea, which is a shame. Spoke too to Betty in Cairo. In the evening we watched a DVD of Captain Philips, which was rather good, and ate a piece of New York cheesecake with birthday candles on it.

Lots of good wishes on Facebook, and other texts which was all rather nice. Maureen called me too, which was kind of her.

Below birthday people opening pressies. Rosie with her lovely three year old nieces, Lyra and Phoebe. And me with Dawn. Emily, Lyra and Tim. My lovely wife sadly not pictured.




Comments