Back to Blighty
Up at 5:30, before the cockerel got going, and had a hasty breakfast and loaded up the cars. I stepped in some dog poo and so had to wash my trainers before Lorraine and I left.
Fond farewells with Charlie who I had liked very much. Beth and James having left a little before, Lorraine and I drove off into a beautiful morning and didn't stop till we reached Dieppe. We drove on the toll motorway, and across the daunting bridge over the Seine. Arrived in Dieppe in good time, and was given the once over by French security with a hand-held machine. A pleasant journey, Lorraine and I ate some amazing quiche. Enzo on good form and we took it in turns to rolling him around the deck in his pushchair while he was sleeping. James buying lots of duty free bourbon, which is his drink of choice.
Though sunny in Normandy and the UK, the channel had been very grey. I stood out on deck briefly, looking at far off blurs of rain.
An easy journey once we reached Newhaven. Home in minutes. Cups of tea and an urgent look at the greenhouse which was groaning with tomatoes. I called Mum, and then hopped into the car again with Lorraine. She went off to do some pottery, and I went to the gym, then returned to cook supper for when Lorraine got back. Happy to be at home again.
France retreating into a thin grey line on the horizon. Back to Blighty.

Comments