Bear and Walrus

Enzo here this morning, and Lorraine looked after him all day. We had him on Thursday night as Beth and James had developed the spews in the morning.

I made off to Hampstead. Bought a ticket at Seaford Station, and realised I'd left my phone at home, so missed the train. Otherwise a smooth journey, and met Mum and Toby at Hampstead station. We sloped down to The White Bear for some lunch. I wanted a photograph, but they both flinched like vampires. A cheery lunch, and great to see the Tobster of course. Toby had a pie, and mum had pea and lovage soup, this time sans the 'weeds', the pea shoots that were added last time. Mum was talking earlier about the man she calls the Parson. Sure enough he came and sat near us. Unfortunately Mum did not count this as a sighting, as he wore some kind of Hawaiian shirt, instead of a dog collar. His cowboyish hat on the table beside him gave it away.

I had to return early, however, as I needed to get to The Walrus in Brighton, to host Tess Jolly, and SJB's poetry reading. Early at the Walrus, full of young software developers with lanyards, and bumped into SJB and Lou immediately. A fast bite with Charlotte and Stephen Bone. The evening went well, I was in genial host mode. SJB full of beans and read three poems from the Mariscat Sampler and spoke about Tess. I introduced Tess, though half the audience was Tess's family and friends, but I played it with a straight bat. Lovely reading. I then sat in the audience, and asked her several podcast-type questions about the book, and the audience joined in asking further questions. A model for any future book launches perhaps. Lots of friendly chats afterwards, with Tess's family and friends. 

Stephen kindly offered to drive me home, just before Newhaven, the entire road was barricaded off. We had to double back, virtually to Brighton, before he drove us via Lewes home. Took an hour and a half, and was very kind of him to go out of his way, as his partner needed him back home. 

Crept into the bedroom where Lorraine was, with a snoozing Enzo. 

Below, Tess and Sarah: Sarah, Tess and me.




Comments