Blearily back in Blighty

Woke up a little bleary after arriving at Gatwick not long before midnight. Sam had waited up for us and it was nice to see him, all tanned from his holiday. 

Up naturally early as we are still on Greek time, two hours ahead of the UK. 

Pat and Maureen are here, having stayed for the two weeks to enjoy being in Brighton, and looking after the cats. Sam taking great care of them, and took them to the pier with Beth while we were away. 

A few work and podcast matters to get on with, getting in touch with Keith and an agency pal to indicate readiness for work pencilled in, and with Robin about podcast matters. 

At lunchtime we drove to Eastbourne with Pat and Maureen. Maureen wanted to do some shopping in C&H fabrics, and we each had a pot of tea and a scone in the C&H cafe. Lorraine and I also bought a fish jigsaw. Maureen, who I had spent a good deal of time joking with, quite ribald over my misshapen scone.  I saw them into their train at Eastbourne, and then Lorraine and I went home the scenic way up near Beachy head and through Seaford.  

During the day Lorraine had been speaking to estate agents and it seems that we might move at the end of September all being well as Angie, is now recovering from her operation and they are still keen to move.

We are still trying not to get too swept away by excitement but it seems clearer and nearer now. Lorraine and I chatting excitedly on the drive home. 

And in the containing enthusiasm department, a book length poetry manuscript of mine -- provisionally entitled Man Up -- has been shortlisted for publication...  It is not the grand opus on memory I have been working on, but something I threw it together fairly quickly. I reminded myself of its contents today, and it was stronger than I remember. Being shortlisted is a bit of a win, but no guarantee of anything of course. 

A nice chat with Mum. Apparently all the folks in the Waggon and Horses sang happy birthday to Mas when he went there with Mum and Robert. Otherwise I was glad to hear that they are fine.

Messages from the Meganisi pals. Life post Meganisi seems far more manageable, and totally lovely to have made new friends.

Lorraine and I tired however by the evening. Everything still seems a bit unreal.

A reproachful Calliope at 6:30 am. 






Comments