A little clarity

Up for toast and tea in Edgware with Mum. Got the trusty yellow notepad out and tried to work out next steps. Lorraine explained to me that the hospital should make a discharge plan for Mas, which may involve care. I had no idea what this might look like so I called Carl who explained that there would be a social worker involved and that the care was arranged through the local authority. This all very helpful. Then mum fished out a red folder on the table we were sitting at, which had all the contact details in the local authority and the care provider she had already been dealing with. This an amazing find as it gave me all the contact details. Mum also looked at her emails and I forwarded myself some correspondence from the care people from six months ago. Basically they had a bit of care, with people calling around to help Mas shower and so on in the morning, but they cancelled this in the first lockdown.

The physiotherapist called mum, and clearly a discharge plan is being formulated and they are taking into account his mobility and the layout of the house -- and also mentioned arranging care. The physio was really kind and efficient. 

Mum had asked if I wouldn't mind cleaning the carpet with the special carpet cleaning machine. Felt good to be doing something practical. Zoomed about with this for a while, having found the instruction manual online. Once the job was completed however, the machine, like an upright hoover didn't click back into position, and the upright bit slid back onto the floor. We were on a wooden bit and the old plastic handle shattered, which took the gloss off my efforts.

Maheena the angel was again kind enough drive us to Barnet Hospital. we talked about meditation on the way, she meditates regularly and is an excellent advert for it.

Mas angry and frustrated at being in hospital and was under the impression he was being discharged immediately. He is not hearing much either which doesn't help. His hearing aids need to be recharged every day apparently. The physiotherapist mum had spoken to earlier arrived with a colleague and after a good deal of negotiation got Mason to walk up some stairs, which he warily managed. However as more tests were being run on him, he was not getting out today. 

However care is being organised for when he is discharged, which is the thing I was most worried about. Mum managing Mas is hard enough at the best of times. They gave us a commode to take home just in case Mas was stuck on the ground floor. So I had the pleasure of carrying a commode onto the bus and then home from the high street to mum's house. 

Home and mum pretty tired. I felt a bit bad about leaving Mum with everything. But I had to return this evening as I have a blood test tomorrow. I felt at least a bit happier knowing Mas was okay, and there would be help on hand for him and Mum when he was discharged -- that I had contacts for their care providers, local authority and GP and so on. Still it was a stressful and tiring day for Mum and me too, but I felt things were a bit clearer, and pleased that I was there to support Mum.

Walked to Mill Hill and trained home. In central London Steve (of Penny and Steve fame) got on the faux first class carriage, so we chatted till he got off at Three Bridges. 

Lorraine when not taking calls from me, had spent the day with Beth after driving her to hospital and back this morning for an injection into her heel. They had had a cheery day together. 

Lorraine picked me up from Preston Park having already asked Sam to collect some curry. Felt good to be home. Lorraine and I have finished Star Trek The Next Generation now so we're thinking about deep space nine. 

Below a Finnish postcard mum was sent by Eileen.



Comments