Of poets and piano teachers, a garden interlude

To Eastbourne by bus, which is a beautiful journey in itself. Lorraine and I having been invited by Robin and Nick to have a lunchtime meal in the sun of their enormous back garden with their pals Jamie and Sarah -- who turned out to be very likeable. Returned five poetry books I had borrowed from Robin during the course of the last season. Lovely to be outside, strong sun, and butterflies, and dragonflies and a Spitfire overhead, in preparation for the Eastbourne Air Show next month. Sarah an old pal of Robin's is a piano teacher and an all round interesting and interested person. Jamie I liked too, quietly funny and characterful. I drank beer and then a glass of wine and sat outside, eating salmon and lovely veggies, followed by a summer fruit Pavlova, made by Nick. A cheery time, Lorraine having fun. We all walked down to the seafront, only a few minutes away.  Eastbourne seafront is new to me, and I enjoyed our mooch about before returning to their place for cups of tea. Really nice afternoon, and Robin and Nick were exemplary hosts. I like the part of the town they  live in. It keeps making me think of Edwardian children's literature, and later the house where Digby lived in The Magician's Nephew.

Walked back to the Station and caught a crowded 12 back to Seaford. Home and proper rain this evening. Both of us rather tired, perhaps it was the sun on us or the idea of heading up to Scotland tomorrow. Just a sandwich tonight, plus a small bar of chocolate, which was wrongheaded but tasty.


Comments