Back in the Beating Heart of Brighton

Off in the rain to meet Dawn and Paul in Brighton. We met in The Dorset where we had a bite to eat and a small glass of wine, then we wandered down to the dome to see the Brighton Philharmonic Orchestra (who style themselves 'The Beating Heart of Brighton'). My visit compromised by an appalling experience in the gents. I marched in and peed in the thigh-high metal trough. I looked about me and could see people outside through the doorway so I hunched in. Only after a while did I realise that I was actually peeing in the sink. Nobody had said anything. But I was mortified, and the cringe was hard when I told Lorraine, Dawn and Paul afterwards. 

So the music. Today they played Arvo Pärt's piece Spiegel im Spiegel, then a longer piece that I'd not heard called Lamentate.  I didn't find the first piece played to my taste. The piano sounded mechanical and soulless and the violin tentative and trying too hard to be interesting. Lamentate was episodic and certainly some of it was captivating on first hearing. Paul hadn't loved the first half. The second half featured Jean Sibelius's second symphony, which we all enjoyed. A very rousing ending, designed to inspiring Finns to thoughts of independence. I was listening to it with my hoary old prog rock ears, as Jon Anderson of Yes was inspired by Sibelius.

Good to see them both. Fond farewells in the North Laine and then Lorraine and I caught the train home. 

A bit of a rest and regroup for Lorraine, before Pat and Maureen went after they spoke to Derek in Finland. Fond farewells with them but I will see them soon.The house seemed empty and quiet with everyone gone. I listened to a bit of Arvo Pärt, and had a tranquil evening and a fairly early night.

Below taking our seats me with Paul behind me, and Lorraine with Dawn behind her.






Comments