A Mum and Mas day

Up just before eight when a man called Andy arrived, and set about installing shelves in a cupboard, and screwing another cupboard to the wall in the utility room, and going on later in the morning to make new bookshelves from adapting my other bookshelves into my study. 

I left to go up to Edgware, before most of this was done, pausing only to help Andy move a bookshelf and banging my eye socket painfully.  Then the four trains to Edgware to see Mum and Mas. Caught the wrong Edgware bus at Mill Hill Broadway, and it took me through Burnt Oak, somewhere I'd not been for years. It had changed since I last was there, with the high street shops all changed reflecting changes in populace, with greengrocers with exotic veggies, and at least on grocery with Arabic script. Got off at the crossroads, and walked up Stonegrove and through the little alley onto Kings Drive.  

Today the new car was signed over to Mum, the neighbour came and very kindly logged onto the government site to register her ownership of the car, and pay the road tax. This was kind of him. I am no use with car stuff. Mas, very sleepy again after I arrived. He still has a bad cough.  Mum stressed by having to look after him, and deal with the aftermath of the car theft. I was at least able to do a few small jobs, which made me feel a bit better. We had a spot of lunch and drank a glass of wine. Mason sleeping on the sofa till he woke up to look at the TV again. It's getting too much for Mum. 

Felt sad to leave them, despite as I was leaving Mum happily putting food out for the foxes. Hopped on a to Mill Hill Broadway, then a smooth journey down to Seaford. 

Looked happily at the new bookcases in my study, and the cupboard on the utility wall, and the shelves Andy had put in the cupboard in the kitchen where the boiler had been. All good. I shall put the books back in tomorrow. Happy to be on the gold sofa with Lorraine. 

Lorraine and I have been reading the Wind in the Willows to each other recently. Weasels and stoats vanquished, we finally finished it. Such a beautiful book. 

Below E.H. Shepard's illustration, weasels fleeing.



Comments