Lunch with Mum and Mas

Up to Elstree today, to the Waggon and Horses to meet Mum and Mas. A charmed journey, and I found myself outside the pub waiting for the door to open at 12 having walked along the former Roman road beside the fields to the pub.  I ordered a Guinness, and not long after I had begun sipping it, Mum and Mas appeared. Lovely to see them both on good form. I amused Mas by telling him that I have never been more manly than when sawing and bolting things together in the garden. Mum wearing her colourful jumper and very well colour coordinated. The barman knew what Mum wanted to drink, and Mas ordered a lager and some extra hot chicken wings and spring rolls, which was probably enough. But we had main courses too. I had a bean burger. Mum had a box for leftovers which the birds eat. Mum gave me a pressie for Lorraine. 

The Waggon and Horses was extremely quiet today, it was as if we had the place to ourselves for most of it. 

After a few hours, it was time to go home. Mum and Mas drove off in their racy white car, and I sauntered back to the station, and had an easy journey home, apart from being stuck in a tunnel for about twenty minutes. Listening to a podcast by the excellent Helen Lewis called The New Gurus, about self-appointed internet gurus and how they are influencing society. 

Happy to be home. Lorraine cooked a lovely dinner, and I sprawled on the gold sofa enjoying a spot of TV and a midweek match of the day. Chelsea lost again. They haven't won any game since March 11th. 


Comments