Beers and bones

Podcast upload day. Listened to the episode first thing this morning, and made a couple of last minute tweaks before Robin uploaded it and I wrote the blurb. Also, happily, I secured my next guest.

Sarah called around to see Lorraine and have a spot of lunch. She brought a pot of sweet peas with her. Lorraine loving showing her around the garden. Sarah, whose koi have bred, suggested there was too much weed in our fish pond, so I will remove even more. Lorraine's Bolney friends are proving to be trusty mates even now Lorraine is no longer the village head teacher.

Lorraine spent some of the evening cooking in preparation for going to Ashford.

I however, slipped off to Brighton, where I met Anton at the station, he having just returned from a work trip to Leamington Spa. Turns out that at lunch he had gone to a pub that I am fairly certain was once The Commonwealth Club -- where I did my first ever poetry reading just shy of 41 years ago. 

Good to catch up. Anton had been on work related travels, and brought me back a pack of Spanish playing cards that was greatly appreciated. Having a beer in the batty, and a game of 'bones', we went back to his house to drop his stuff off and say howdy to Anne. Then, to the Hampton for a bite to eat. Anton had booked at table for four, as it you can no longer book a table for two. The game is that you then say two people dropped out at the last minute. A fiction made worse by the fact we were given a table for six in a very busy place. Anton came back from the bar suggesting I look sad when we are brought a meal, as he had told the staff that I had been dumped -- hence the two missing people.  Snapped down the food then repaired to the homely comforts of the French Horn where we played more dominoes before making off home.

Below the publican wanted sign on the Batty. Dark times. And the sunset from outside Anton's garden, featuring his purple magnolia. Unfortunately the one we have planted in our front garden looks dead as a doornail. We have no luck with this tree.




Comments