A gift from bountiful Bacchus

A quick podcast email and a few bits first thing, before I readied myself head north. 

Pat and Maureen here. But I went up to Elstree, to meet Mum and Mas in The Waggon and 'orses on Watling Street. A slow journey with lots of changes. Seaford to Lewes, Lewes to East Croydon, East Croydon to St Pancras, St Pancras to Elstree and then a pleasant stroll from Elstree. The platform at Elstree had grit and salt on it, and it was noticeably colder than Seaford was when I set out. 

Mum and Mas happily installed in the best seat by the fire when I arrived at 12:25. Enjoyable time with them, warmed by the fire and sipping a decent pint of Guinness and telling them all my news. Mum and Mas are really well known there. The chef who calls them mummy and daddy appeared, and I shook his hand as his 'stepbrother' and thanked him for being so nice to them. He made a nice chicken soup for Mason, which was nicer than anything on the menu. I had a sip and it was spicy with nutmeg, and rather good. Eventually I pushed off again for the return leg, promising to see them again when I come up again in two weeks, on the one day there is no train strike.

Pleasant journey home. On the first train I sat near a dissolute looking guy, who suddenly sprang up at Kentish Town and his plastic bag, which was full of bottles of wine fell open and suddenly there were wine bottles everywhere. I handed him back one, and spotted another and called out to him that he had missed one but he ignored me and blundered off the train, and hurried off. The doors closed and there was nothing for it, but to simply stash the bottle of Rioja in my bag, and count it as a gift from bountiful Bacchus.

Had arranged to meet Steve in the Boot at 5:30 and thought I was not going to make it as the train to Lewes was late. However, they seem to hold the Seaford train there till the London train has arrived. 

A cheeky in The Old Boot Inn with Steve -- a glorious pint of Harvey's old in there. The beer there is kept so well and the pub was full and cheery. Then I left to go home, and Lorraine had cooked a coq au vin which was extremely rich and tasty. Pat and Maureen both doing well and had a nice day.

Yawning this evening, and happily off to bed.

Comments