A double dose of Lewes

Jade up early. and typically perky. Lorraine and I drove her to the Station as it was hosing down with rain. However the train was cancelled so Lorraine drove Jade to Lewes Station. Lorraine and I then did early food shopping in Morrisons and I picked up the turkey and a dozen sausages from the slightly stressed butcher at an eye-watering price. The bird wrapped in a clear plastic bag. Felt a bit odd carrying a large body through town. Poked it into the fridge in the Workhouse at the bottom of the garden.

Sam left a couple of hour or so later to meet Jade in London and train back up to Scotland -- where they arrived late at night. We walked him to the station, 

After some light tidying and organising, we drove off to Eastbourne, a beautiful drive, where we collected Pat and Maureen at the station, arriving safely after the journey from Ashford. Home again, Lorraine cooked a lovely curry and also wrapped presents.

Off to the station with a big bag of pressies for Anton and his family. Met Anton in the Batty, which was weirdly crowded. Anton had two big black sacks with him, one of which contained a small tree. It had a note saying I bet I wished I had liked psychobilly records instead. The other had a few mystery objects. We opened for  The Evening Star, where we had some nice beer and shared some bizarre fries, covered in a ladleful of Sri Lankan curry and cheese. Lots to catch up on, with Anton. Then fond farewells and from there I mooched back to the station with the sacks and the tree. 

On a carriage with about eight drunken 16 year old lads who despite their raucous singing and stamping were doing no harm. One of them somehow cut his hand and it began bleeding and one or two of them became a bit panicky wanting help. I went over to look at it. Are you a doctor? They asked. Looked at the boy's finger, which had almost stopped bleeding, and reassured them that he'd probably live. 

Outside Lewes the train stopped.  A person under a train at Lewes. We edged onto the platform. Emergency services already there and a helicopter later too. Spilled out onto the platform, and I noticed one woman was verbally lashing out at people, clearly distressed. She told me her brother had been a tube train driver and had killed someone. No trains at all and the station shut, so I had to call Lorraine and ask her to collect me from Lewes. I offered the distressed woman a lift, but she refused and then began arguing with people outside the station. 

Lorraine like the cavalry, collecting me and my tree and sacks from a side street in Lewes and whisking me back to our cozy home with Pat and Maureen snoozing in bed. The day top and tailed by a trip to Lewes.


Comments