The box marked Christmas

Sluggish this morning, but soon perked up. Delighting in the fact that the year is coming to an end.  However Val called from Paris asking me to help them out on a job, and sent me a wee brief. I will do it because it is Val, and fairly easy for me as I can do it alone. I will start it tomorrow.

Otherwise Lorraine and I feeling cheery, and clearing space on the concrete for the greenhouse to be built. Still bitterly cold outside. After this we sauntered into town, Lorraine nipping into the hardware store as is her wont. Wandering around the corner to Broad Street and Lorraine said, 'there's a car in the cafe'. Had no idea what she meant till I saw a car had crashed into the front of a little cafe. I had heard a helicopter earlier, and three had been taken away injured. People thought it was an older driver who may have had a heart attack. No fatalities thankfully.

Went into a small men's clothes shop. Lovely corduroy trousers in there but they didn't fit me properly, and a framed picture of the cover of In the Court of the Crimson King. Lorraine bought decorative stars, and even popped into The Old Boot for a pint of mild and bitter each, which was lovely. Just great to be able to do somethings so spontaneous with Lorraine after what seems a long time. A table of older ladies on a nearby table celebrating and having a great laugh and drawing us and others into the fun. Just very friendly in there.

Spoke to Mum and decided not to meet up tomorrow, as the streets are lethally icy were she is right now. It's a risk walking the streets or driving.

Home again, and after dinner of an excellent chilli with rice, Lorraine and I opened the box marked Christmas, and started decorating the tree, which we brought into the house this morning, sipping a glass of sloe gin as we did so and toasting absent friends.

Below, The car in the cafe. Must have been terrifying for those folks inside as well as the driver, and Lorraine and me.





 


Comments