Padrón peppers

The new normal: got up with Lorraine, had a hearty breakfast: a yoghurt, kefir, seeds, nuts and berry filled bowl, plus a piece of Lorraine's delicious sourdough bread, and a boiled egg. I worked on some writing, and also reading the guest's book and sent some emails. I also completed a poem that had been commissioned by Sue on the death of her father. She sent me lots of notes about what he was like, and I did my best to turn them into something. I hope it does the trick.

Yesterday's discoveries bubbling away in my subconscious. Instead of a complete blank, there are now at least photographs -- in some ways it feels like a kind of closure.

Off to the gym again late this afternoon, but it was full of weirdly muscular schoolboys (and some schoolgirls) who go after school. They don't use the lockers, but leave all their identical bags hanging in the changing room. Very trusting, but that's Seaford.

Beth came around this afternoon, and was working from the soft office of the sofa and getting Lorraine to read out invoices to her to add to a spreadsheet. After dinner, which Lorraine cooked (an extra portion for Stephanie over the road who has covid). The meal included from our garden: wee, but highly-tasty potatoes from our garden (Beth helped to wash them, and found a small potato sized stone that had snuck in) white carrot, and ambushingly fiery Padrón peppers.  

Beth and Lorraine, with little jete of excitement, made off to see a film version of Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake at the Barn. I mooched out and after walking about in the rain, sat in Steamworks where I had a pint of American Pale Ale and looked at a couple of poems before heading home. After the movie, Lorraine drove straight off to Ashford, and Beth went back to Shoreham. Beth and James's house move has hit a snag, their mortgage lender has valued where they want to buy slightly under the asking price. Gah. House moving is always hell. 

I went to bed, and to sleep once I knew a yawning Lorraine had safely arrived in Ashford having driven through a stormy night of wind and rain. 

Some of our Padrón peppers a week or so before picking.



Comments