The children's parade

The children's parade through Brighton this morning. Marching drumming bands which always seem to produce really funky beats, and children from every school. This year's theme was children's games, so there were hundreds of kids dressed up as, for example, elements from Mousetrap, or as noughts and crosses, or characters from computer games. It's the sort of event that's full of life and fun, which makes you feel proud to live in Brighton.

Lorraine and I met up with Anna and Anton and my soon-to-be-official godchildren who were watching the parade. Their friend Anna was there too, and she is going to be a godmother. I told her that with Christianne being in Australia, I was pleased there was someone sensible on the Godparenting team with me and Brian.

After the human crocodiles, and pirates, and skittles etc. went by, Lorraine and I snuck off for a brace of GSK burgers, I then got my stuff together and travelled up to London.

Spent a few hours visiting Mum in hospital. She is conscious and looking better than I had expected. When I arrived, Mas was talking to a south Asian family about American politics. Mum told me she had been having delusions, and was worried that if I came I was going to die. However after a bit of reassurance on that front, and working out that she was in a slightly dreamlike mental state, and we separated some odd ideas from reality. Mostly, however, we had a good conversation and I was really pleased I was there. By the time Mas and I left, I noticed that she already seemed to have more colour in her cheeks than when I arrived.

Having said that, I find hospitals a severe challenge. The staff seem very pleasant, and are doing a difficult job brilliantly. But I can't help tuning into the sobbing relatives standing outside, and people faces as they return bleakly from visits. It is good to know Lorraine at this time, as an ex-ward sister she feels completely differently about hospitals - as if they were a home from home. It is very good to get this positive balance.

Mas and I then drove back to Edgware stopping at a restaurant for a combo platter of ribs and chicken and a nice chat. He was pretty tired when we got home, so we watched some CSI programme about an estate agent-munching shark who was (unsurprisingly) poisoned by its meal. Then Mas went to bed and I watched Match of the Day before doing the same.

Below some scenes from the Children's Parade.


Comments