Brighton Moments and a rare honour

Today I discovered an email from a man in Poland requesting my date of birth. Turns out that he has selected one of my poems, which he found online, for the anthology of poetry published by the Auschwitz Museum. For more about that see my daywork blog. I think this is a real honour.

Otherwise, feeling very middle class this morning, breakfasting at Carats cafe. I was with Anna, Anton the bairns, Sam and Martin, and their flame haired nipper Charlie, plus Lorraine with her likable singing and dancing daughter Beth and her similarly singing and dancing boyfriend Mark.

Lots of knife and forkwork of greasy English breakfasts and general chitchatting. Princess Klaudia now zooming on a purple bicycle (with stabilisers) with silver streamers, wearing pink and purple clothes and a pink and purple helmet. Oskar pushing a car about, including dropping it down the front of my teeshirt and laughing when it appeared at my substantial belly. Anton, meanwhile, being peculiar and suddenly talking about CDs as if they were big and clever.

Working in the afternoon, as I will be travelling up to London tomorrow again. Lorraine came around mid afternoon to worked on one of her job applications, and I offered lofty advice about application letters. She teaches and shapes children's lives - but, damn it, I know how to write a letter.

I was phoned by the nice Alison MacLeod who reserved me a free ticket for The Brighton Moment, which was on this evening. There were about 18 Brighton writers reading their work to an audience of 300. A really good night out, and I fell into enjoyable conversation with some people sitting around me. Also bumped into Andrew Comben, who I'd interviewed recently. A short review of the night is on my daywork blog.

Home late, and not having eaten since breakfast, guiltily scored some Singapore noodles.

Comments