Bowling along

Calling mortgage people this morning, gathering information about my next moves. Otherwise there seems loads to be done and for one reason or another I can do none of it and am feeling very frustrated. Lorraine working from home on the desk next to me which was nice though, despite me feeling I was sending out waves of tetchiness. In fact I was in a poor mood all day, although I had a pleasant interlude walking through Preston Park to Brighton bowls club, sat on a little bench by a sunken bowling green and watched as four highly-competitive games were in progress between the home team and a visiting one. Something almost zen-like about the bowls rolling gently up and down the green, and the sagacious nods and murmurs of the uniformly grey-haired players in their bowling whites.

In the evening off to the Marlborough theatre, left the costumes there and Mark, Beth, Callum and Becky sorted the lighting out, with the stylish Tarik clambering up ladders to tweak the lighting positions and put in the plastic gels, which slide over the lights to turn a white light red or green or blue depending on what's called for. The youngsters very professional about this and creating their lighting states. I learned a new word from Beth, which is a 'tab' which are the flaps by the sides of theatrical lights. The theatre has been really poor in its marketing of our play and seem only to have found the posters I delivered almost two months ago for the venue, and set up the online buying site a few days ago. Really poor. I might move the Christmas play I am planning elsewhere.

Then we repaired as a group to the Basketmakers, for me to buy everyone a beer. There discovered Matt who was celebrating an excellent start at Chichester's music department today, where he will teach composition. Showed me his photoID with STAFF on it, and was full of the possibilities the new job will open up. Handed out a few more of our flyers, Beth spotting some former teachers to hand them to, and me the man with electronic cigarettes. Then all home, me scoring a disreputable Chinese meal on the way home, and eating it happily before bed.

Below: a random moment with Beth and Callum in the Theatre. Beth on the phone being the quietly-efficient organiser as well as comedienne extraordinaire.


Comments