In the Open Houses

Off this morning to go to some Open Houses with Lorraine and Diane. This is part of the Brighton Festival, where dozens of houses all around town open their doors becoming temporary venues for art exhibitions. First off to the other side of town to one of Diane's pals Caroline Ying who was showing some jewellery, including a beautiful four fingered ring. Diane treated us to cake and coffee in the garden. The sun was out in full force. Then to several other Open Houses where there was some nice stuff, though none that made my eyes pop out. Lots of average photography although I was drawn to some papier-mâché clocks by Juliette Pearce. Good fun, and nice walking about looking at all the art on the trail. One of the stops was a Catholic church, and it was quite odd to walk into church, which smelled strongly of incense.

After a taxi ride back to the station, fond farewells with Diane who returned home. From there to Seven Dials where my favourite collage artist Maria Rivans was showing her work. I purchased one of her small postcard collages called Home Sweet Home which I will have framed. I'm an enormous fan of Maria's work.


Then Lorraine drove us, collecting her pal Cath en route, to a party at her pal Naomi's house out in the sticks. Naomi very pleasant, and she had a lovely big garden which backed onto the downs. Got talking to a man who having half finished a short story explained to me about writing at some length, while another explained what a poor place Brighton was to live. Decided to simply drink beer at this point and talk to Lorraine and Cath who were sitting with a funny woman called Haley, while listening to an eclectic mix of old music, watching children cavort all around swinging on a tree swing, and bouncing on trampolines. As the sun set huge and vicious mosquitoes got to work and I have a souvenir on my knee. Very enjoyable however, although Cath and I drank rather enthusiastically.

Comments