Dastardly drinking

A slow start to the day. Cold, with rain lashing the windows as I worked at a strange new poem. Went out to buy bread in a cold rainy gale. Bumped into Ken by the station cashpoint, who was gloomily contemplating a trip to Axminister to see some of his family.

Returned home to cook Lorraine a large breakfast. Then took an emergency fish call from Lakshmi whose fish (species unknown) was feeling a bit moby dick. I enjoy my role as remote fish doctor.

Feeling slightly sneezy and man coldy but rallied heroically to go shopping. There are sales everywhere and an undercurrent of desperation in the shops. Bought bits for my God children, and saw a bargain charcoal grey coat for myself. First coat I'd bought in years.

After these labours went to a little pub with Lorraine to quaff pints of bitter. Then more shopping again to buy cushions. Lorraine is not really a drinker, I remembered, watching her knock over a display of nasty ornamental ducks. Stopped at The Caxton on the way home for yet more drinks surrounded by our big bags of shopping. I was feeling very Christmassy as I listened to Lorraine's increasingly lively opinions about education and other things.

As I guided Lorraine home, I felt rather dastardly as she was a bit drunk. I popped out to buy a chicken, and when I returned she was doing some washing up, appallingly badly. I banned her to the sofa where, after crying at bits of the X Factor final, she slept soundly with Calliope sitting on her head. The perils of drinking eh?

Comments