Tapdancing

Up early working on yet another new poem this morning. Then on with business. Managed to firm up the Marlborough Theatre booking for the end of August. This good news, and now gives us a date to hang everything from.

Went to the gym and then zoomed up to Lewes to meet an old colleague Barney, who has been on 'gardening leave', in his case quite literally as he has been volunteering to help tidy wild places, and learn about forestry. We met in the Lewes Arms and sat in the high garden next to what I think Barney said was the old castle wall. We had an enjoyable long chat, stroking his lurcher's head, and then I came back to Brighton to have talk to Tarik about dates.

In the evening off out with Lorraine, Dawn, and a really fun pal of Lorraine's called Rosie. Off to The Hartington where The Shakespeare Trio, aka Dipak and Richard were playing. Beautifully as usual, although they were miced too quietly, and as the place was full there was a lot of chitchat in their set.

My occasionally-annoying 'zero-tolerance for not trying' policy made me persuade them to let me read three poems. Not the best environment, but it gave me a chance to give some of the new ones an airing. Most people listened really politely, and Dawn said that I should be a teacher because I made people quiet and was quite warmly applauded at the end. I came on after Richard and Dipak, and before the tapdancer I saw last week.

Then all bundled off in Dawn's car. Lorraine stayed with me, because antisocial ants had invaded her bedroom.

Below the tapdancer (quite proud of this photo), plus Richard and Dipak aka The Shakespeare Trio. The place looks empty but it wasn't as they were all behind where I was sitting.





Comments