I have measured out my life with table spoons

Off, once I'd rather blearily got out of bed, to the kitchen supplies shop to score egg cups, measuring spoons, a loaf tin and other essentials. Essentials, that is, for my new craze of cooking. Now that I'm not spending my life on trains. One of my new resolutions is to broaden the range of things I cook, which means being able to measure things accurately, to follow new recipes. I now can be certain that I have spooned a tablespoon, or half teaspoon with scientific accuracy. All making me think of Eliot's line: I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.

Sent an email to Heather Sebire today. She wrote an excellent book called The Archeology and Early History of the Channel Islands, which I bought last time I was in Guernsey. There is a bit in her book about Le Déhus one of the passage graves on the island. When it was first excavated by Lukis he found two bodies, kneeling inside, packed in with mud and limpet shells. I have become fascinated by these two, buried thousands of years before Christ, and I am trying to find out more about it. I am wondering if there is any symbolic association with the limpets - there is something about their tenacity and holding on, which seems to me to be a very interesting thing for a grave.

Spent the afternoon with Anton cleaning some of his and my LPs with his special LP cleaning machine, and then listening to the results. He also had a new mysterious box in his stereo system which has transformed the sound. This sadly wasted on me because of The Ears. We drifted down to the Eddy and watched some football on the TV, the first half of the Anton-supported Man U versus Newcastle. We left at 0-0 at half time, to go for a cheeky curry. Anton then missed 6 Man U goals in the second half, but still managed to crow about it for the rest of the evening.

After eating back to the Eddy for a bit. We met Lorraine there and a couple of other friends of Anton's, called Jules and David who were paramedics. Lorraine and the paramedics had quite a bit to say to each other about hospitals and people with arms hanging off by strings etc. but even listening to Anton glow on about Manchester Utd was better than that.

Comments