Budapest - scrap of a diary I found in April 2011

Much better mood this morning. The consequence of a decent night's sleep and no hangovers. Felt dreadful yesterday morning. I managed an hour's sleep between writing my last entry and getting up.

Things didn't start too promisingly. Had breakfast (a nice one) and forgot to call Mum and Mase to say I was doing so. Then we went to the Opera House around the corner and brought some tickets for Thursday night. Then there was a big anxious chat about what to do next. Mason had spent nearly an hour plotting things. I decided to split off from them and meet them for a boat trip at two. Feeling anxious, horrid and tired I began a two hour exploration of Budapest on foot (on the Pest side of the river) mostly in unrepentant rain.

It was fine though, and by the time I had walked for a couple of hours I was much better spiritually, emotionally and physically. Nice city. I remember thinking at one point that you can tell something about the soul of a city by seeing it in the rain.

Got a boat trip to which was fun with a tape of a woman being and a guy being Buda and Pest which was quite fun. Stopped for an hour at St Margaret's island where Mum and Mase found toilets and Mase ate something. I went for a short walk with Mum. Nice place with lots of busts of unknown (to me) writers dotted about the place. And there was also the ruin of St Margaret's Abbey. Wandered back to the hotel.

Then off to see a Tango show. Went to see a Belgian tango show. We got "extras" tickets which meant we had to cringe at the side of the circle, but it was fine. Starving by the time it had finished at 9pm as I'd not eaten since breakfast. Went to a cafe bar called the Comedy and had chicken and chips. Not over keen on veggies here for some reason. Home and quick read of the Longshoreman by Richard Shelton and slept. Was overtired.

Comments